Dedicated to Serving Others in Canton, Ohio. The Salvation Army is a religious and social service organization, a branch of the Christian church dedicated to the never-ending battle against the twin enemies of sin and despair. It is a holistic ministry to body, mind and soul. The Salvation Army seeks to improve the physical environment, provide for material needs and lead people to a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Salvation Army is global. And, The Salvation Army is local. As a faith-based organization The Salvation Army's message is based on the Bible and our mission is to meet human needs without discrimination. As a local organization The Salvation Army works every day in Canton to provide tangible assistance through programs with a dedicated staff and committed volunteers. Our programs are not generic in that one size fits all but is flexible to provide the right assistance needed at the right time to the right people. The Salvation Army provides for the basic needs, such as food, clothing and shelter. Beyond those basic needs The Salvation Army invests its time in the human spirit by offering counseling, education programs, recovery/support programs, and spiritual support for those willing to accept it.
We believe the Bible is God's Word and forms the only basis for our faith and living. We believe there is only one God and he only should be worshipped, and that he expresses himself as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We believe that God's creation of the universe was perfect but when man first deliberately disobeyed God, sin and suffering entered the world. As a result, man's relationship with God has been spoiled. We believe that Jesus is both truly divine and human. Through his suffering and death on the cross is given the only way by which sinful people - which means all mankind - can be forgiven. When we are forgiven, our relationship with God is put right and we receive new spiritual life. Although this is God's free gift, we have a part to play in that process - we must be truly sorry for our wrongdoing and have faith in Jesus.
To maintain this new life we must continually have faith in Jesus and be obedient to him. Once we are ‘saved', God gives us the help we need to live in the way he wants us to. We believe that our real selves (spirit) never dies but go on living beyond physical death. After this present life we will be accountable to God for how we have lived. Those whose lives have been as God has wished will live with him in eternal happiness; those who have not done so will be unhappy forever because they will be apart from God. These Christian beliefs which form our doctrine are relevant to all generations and point to the unchanging answer to people's basic need of a right relationship with God.
The Salvation Army is a Protestant denomination of the Christian church. Our doctrines affirm the revealed truth of Holy Scripture.
- We believe that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments were given by inspiration of God, and that they, only, constitute the Divine rule of Christian faith and practice.
- We believe that there is only one God, who is infinitely perfect, the Creator, Preserver, and Governor of all things, and who is the only proper object of religious worship.
- We believe that there are three persons in the Godhead-the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, undivided in essence and co-equal in power and glory.
- We believe that in the person of Jesus Christ the Divine and human natures are united, so that He is truly and properly God and truly and properly man.
- We believe that our first parents were created in a state of innocency, but by their disobedience they lost their purity and happiness, and that in consequence of their fall all men have become sinners, totally depraved, and as such are justly exposed to the wrath of God.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ has by His suffering and death made an atonement for the whole world so that whosoever will may be saved.
- We believe that repentance towards God, faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, and regeneration by the Holy Spirit, are necessary to salvation.
- We believe that we are justified by grace through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ and that he that believeth hath the witness in himself.
- We believe that continuance in a state of salvation depends upon continued obedient faith in Christ.
- We believe that it is the privilege of all believers to be wholly sanctified, and that their whole spirit and soul and body may be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe in the immortality of the soul, in the resurrection of the body, in the general judgment at the end of the world, in the eternal happiness of the righteous, and in the endless punishment of the wicked.